Christmas light switch on events in Norfolk
PUBLISHED: 12:02 29 October 2018 | UPDATED: 12:02 29 October 2018
It’s that time of year when our streets and buildings are illuminated by the atmospheric glow of festive lights. Here are just a few of the big switch on events happening across Norfolk
• The big Christmas light switch on in Thetford at 6.15pm on November 30, marks the start of the town’s Winter Wonderland weekend. There will be live music, fairground rides and stalls throughout the evening. On December 1 and 2, the Winter Wonderland in Kings House Gardens has children’s theatre, reindeer, food and drink, Christmas stalls and Santa’s grotto.
• Cromer’s town centre will be illuminated by festive lights on Saturday December 1, with the big switch on outside the church at 5.45pm. There will be stalls, displays, entertainment and reindeer throughout the afternoon and evening.
• Holt’s pretty Georgian buildings and quaint lanes and yards look magical at Christmas decorated by thousands of pretty white lights. This year’s big switch on is on November 14 at 6.30pm, and will be accompanied by the usual entertainment and late night shopping.
• Enjoy some early Christmas shopping, taste festive treats and soak up the entertainment as Burnham Market prepares for its big Christmas light event at 6pm on Saturday, November 17.
Father Christmas is guest of honour for the North Walsham festive light switch on in the Market Place at 6pm, November 24. Expect plenty of Christmas fun and entertainment.
• Music, fun fair rides, an outdoor festive market and the opening of Santa’s grotto will entertain the crowds before the Christmas lights are switched on in Swaffham Market Place at 5pm, on December 2.
• Thousands of people will be head to Great Yarmouth’s Market Place on November 30 for the big Christmas light switch on. There will be entertainment throughout the evening as well as late night shopping. It marks the start of the town’s festive celebrations, with four themed weekends to follow from November 30 to December 23, with wooden chalets and gazebos filling Market Square, selling unique gifts and food and drink.
• An evening of song, dance and performance will accompany the Christmas Light switch on in Aylsham’s Market Place on November 30 at 6pm. A lantern procession featuring St Michael’s School and the Sutton School of Dance will make its way to the Market Place beforehand and there will be lots happening around the town.
• The Christmas lights switch-on event in Norwich, on November 15, draws thousands to the city centre. Enjoy street entertainment, music, the arrival of Santa, food and drink and lots more. Not only will the city centre be illuminated by pretty decorative lights, there will fireworks from City Hall and Jarrold and the launch of the Christmas projections at the Castle. The night also sees the official opening of the Tunnel of Light at Haymarket, featuring more than 50,000 pulsating, multi coloured LEDs
• Head to the heart of historic King’s Lynn for an afternoon and evening of festive fun and entertainment on November 25, 12pm to 5pm as the magical Christmas lights are switched on.