Earl Grey Tea Loaf
PUBLISHED: 05:30 23 March 2015
Archant Norfolk Photographic © 2007
Richard Hughes of The Lavender House in Brundall shows us how to make Earl Grey Tea Loaf.
Makes one loaf tin
325g mixed dried fruit
150ml strong Earl Grey tea
225g self-raising flour
100g caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
4 tbsps milk (approx.)
1. Make the tea.
2. Pour 150ml of the strong, hot tea over the fruit. Allow to cool – preferably allow to stand overnight.
3. Sift the flour into the fruit.
4. Mix in.
5. Add the sugar.
6. Add the egg.
7. Add the milk.
8. Mix to a dropping consistency.
9. Place in a lined loaf tin. Bake in a pre- heated oven at Gas 5/190C for 40 to 50 minutes.
10. Test the centre of the cake with a knife – if the blade is clean, the cake is cooked. Place on a wire rack to allow the cake to cool. Serve with cups of hot tea.