Earl Grey Tea Loaf
PUBLISHED: 13:10 18 March 2014 | UPDATED: 13:10 18 March 2014
Archant Norfolk Photographic © 2007
Makes one loaf tin
325g mixed dried fruit
150ml strong Earl Grey tea
225g self-raising flour
100g caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
4 tbsps milk (approx.)
1. Make the tea.
2. Pour 150ml of the strong, hot tea over the fruit. Allow to cool – preferably allow to stand overnight.
3. Sift the flour into the fruit.
4. Mix in.
5. Add the sugar.
6. Add the egg.
7. Add the milk.
8. Mix to a dropping consistency.
9. Place in a lined loaf tin. Bake in a pre- heated oven at Gas 5/190C for 40 to 50 minutes.
10. Test the centre of the cake with a knife – if the blade is clean, the cake is cooked. Place on a wire rack to allow the cake to cool. Serve with cups of hot tea.