Easter Simnel Cake
PUBLISHED: 09:46 10 March 2014
300g (11oz) mix of raisins, sultanas and currants
50g (2oz) candied peel, chopped
1 lemon, zest only
2 tbsp brandy
175g (6oz) butter, plus extra for greasing
175g (6oz) light brown sugar
4 large eggs
250g (8oz) plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
50g (2oz) ground almonds
2 tsp mixed spice
500g (1lb 2oz) marzipan
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp apricot jam
1. Mix the fruit, peel and lemon zest together.
2. Soak the fruit in brandy.
3. Cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
4. Beat three eggs and gradually add to the mixture.
5. Mixture should be dropping consistency.
6. Fold in flour, almonds and spices.
7. Add pre-soaked fruit.
8. Shape a third of the marzipan to the size of the baking tin.
9. Place half the mixture in a lined tin.
10. Flatten with backs of fingers dipped in milk.
11. Place shaped marzipan on top.
12. Fill with remaining mixture and leave an indentation.
13. When cooled remove paper.
14. Glaze with warm apricot jam.
15. Cut rolled marzipan to size.
16. Place on top and smooth with hand.
17. Brush marzipan with beaten egg.
18. Make 11 marzipan balls and place on top.
19. Glaze top; under the grill is okay.
20. Make tea and enjoy.