Ask the experts

PUBLISHED: 08:05 05 May 2014

Mood board for a teenager's bedroom

Mood board for a teenager's bedroom


My son is now 12 and has grown out of his space-themed bedroom. How can I update it? The green carpet needs to stay.

Bleeding radiatorsBleeding radiators

<co photo>

On a budget

For an uber cool look, hunt out a secondhand desk in an auction house. Grab a bargain for as little as £20 and up-cycle by painting in a funky colour - acid green, perhaps? New handles offer another cheap way to introduce character.

Painting a room is a quick and economical way to transform it. Paint the desk wall a dark or intense colour. Obsidian Green from Little Greene would work well with the green carpet. By placing a monitor or TV screen in front of a darker colour the contrast is less, reducing eye strain.

Double glassed windows, Ask the expertsDouble glassed windows, Ask the experts

Choose a timeless bold stripe for a Roman blind; stripes never go out of fashion so can be used in future schemes. The handles are £3.95 each, wallpaper from, wallpaper £14 per square metre, paint chart from The Little Greene paint company.

Blow the budget

We suggest personalised wallpaper from and a luxury beanbag, see Smart Lighting is very cool, we love the new Hue wireless light bulbs. Using a smartphone, the user has a choice of recipes that change the lighting for specific needs - to relax, concentrate, energise and read; see

Helen Jennings, Swank Interiors, Three Gates Farm, Bressingham; IP22 2AQ; 01379 687542;

My radiators make alarming banging noises; is there an easy solution?

You may have air in your system and need to “bleed” the radiators, this is done using a radiator key bought at any DIY store. If this does not solve the problem you may have a bigger issue with air being pulled into the system. At this point I would recommend calling a plumber. Choose a college qualified plumber who is registered as a sub-contractor with the Inland Revenue. Ensure your plumber has a landline phone number, not just a mobile number.

Keith Wallace, K and N Premier Plumbing and Kitchens, Swaffham Road, Mundford, IP26 5HR; 01842 878944 and 07704966760.

The UPVC windows in my home are at least 15 years old and there seem to be draughts coming from a couple of them. Have I got to replace them?

In the first instance you don’t have to replace them, there are a few remedies you could try first. If the windows are not sealing correctly, replacing the weather stripping is the easiest, most cost-effective method to close draughts. Also check the hinges haven’t worn and dropped over time, resulting in the windows not sealing.

Draughts can also occur around the frames of the units as they age. As your windows are at least 15 years old, I would recommend considering replacement units. Although this sounds costly, frame-technology has improved over the years, not to mention the efficiency benefits you will gain. New units will give an A-rated energy efficient solution, securing your home and looking great too.

Scott Warman,managing director, Norfolk Windows, Market Place, Swaffham, PE37 7LA; 01760 720666;

What household questions would you like us to put to the county’s experts - anything from carpeting the stairs to bringing life to a spare room? Send your queries to EDP Norfolk, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE, or email

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the EDP Norfolk Magazine