CHRISTMAS OFFER Subscribe to EDP Norfolk today CLICK HERE

Last word in property

PUBLISHED: 10:46 13 September 2016 | UPDATED: 10:46 13 September 2016

Norwich Accountancy Services. Jon Hook

Norwich Accountancy Services. Jon Hook PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY


Tax advice from the legal expert from Norwich Accountancy Services

A financial adviser asked about Principle Private Residence (PPR): “With regard to capital gains tax (CGT) on second homes, our client was of the understanding that if she were to move into a house she had previously been letting out for 18 months that she would receive full CGT relief. I thought the CGT relief for a main residence would only apply to when you’d been living there and you would still be liable for gains in the period the property was being let. ”

When you live in a property you get PPR relief, but exemption is available for the following periods of “deemed occupation”:

• The past 18 months of ownership

• Up to three years absence

• Any period spent working abroad

• Up to four years of absence while working elsewhere in the UK

The last three items must be preceded and followed by a period of actual occupation. Where part of a residential property is used exclusively for commercial purposes, any gain must be apportioned between the part used as a main residence and the part used for a trade, vocation or profession. There have been many cases where people have renovated a house and moved in for a while so they can claim PPR relief. The capital gains regime blocks PPR relief where the owners primary goal is to make money from a property. In reality HMRC would look at other factors in order to identify trading activity of this kind. This can be a tricky area and expert advice should be sought.

Jon Hook at Norwich Accountancy Services, sponsors of this column; 01603 630882,

More from Homes & Gardens

Mon, 16:38

We look inside a beautiful north Norfolk home which looks even more fabulous at this time of year

Read more
December 2018
Monday, November 19, 2018

We take a look inside a handsome new home in the historic town of Reepham

Read more
November 2018
Wednesday, October 31, 2018

If you’re looking for a beautiful bespoke kitchen in your home, here are some of the best Norfolk has to offer

Read more
Tuesday, October 9, 2018

A converted Victorian Temperance hall in Cromer has made a spectacular family home

Read more
October 2018
Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Welcome to one of the most handsome small towns in the country

Read more
September 2018
Wednesday, September 26, 2018

As we head into Autumn, the change in season is all around us. From the leaves on the trees turning burnt orange and fiery red, to dark mornings and nights bookending our days. As we put the clocks back an hour to battle the darkness, here’s some top tips on how you can keep your home warm and costs down this Autumn.

Read more
Friday, August 31, 2018

Rural energy provider, Calor, gives some top tips for homeowners wanting to make their houses cosy and warm in time for the colder months.

Read more
Monday, August 6, 2018

We take a peek inside a much-loved family holiday home in Cromer

Read more
August 2018
Monday, July 30, 2018

It is one of the most sought-after areas in Norwich - so what makes it so special?

Read more
July 2018
Monday, July 30, 2018

Tony Hall discovers an exciting new house with spectacular sea views across the wild Norfolk marshes to savour

Read more
July 2018

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Topics of Interest

Food and Drink Directory

Like us on Facebook

Local Business Directory

Search For a Car In Your Area

Property Search